The St. Mary’s County Scholarship Fund was established in 1980 to provide scholarship assistance to students of African-American heritage and residents of St. Mary’s County.
To apply for a grant from the fund, it is necessary to complete the BECA Common Scholarship Application (Business, Education, and Community Alliance, Inc. at www.smcbeca.org) with the following information to the scholarship committee:
- A completed application (download and mail or complete online)
- A completed Financial Information form (download and mail or complete online)
- Your SAT scores (download and mail or include with online form – not needed for current scholarship recipients)
- A transcript of your grades (mail to address below or include with online form)
- Three current letters of reference (appropriate people would be teachers, counselors, ministers, employers, etc.) (mail to address below or include with online form)
In addition, you must be enrolled or accepted as a full time student in a program leading to a degree in an accredited college/university or certification in a post secondary educational program. First time applicants are required to have an interview with the Committee on a date to be determined.
Applications are now closed for 2023 and will reopen in January 2024.
For 2023, the Committee reviewed all the applications received and awarded 13 scholarships totaling $13,000.00.
- Ms. Regina Bowman-Goldring, Co-Chair, Director, Application Services, Recruitment & Student Affairs, American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)
- Ms. Karen Lowry, Co-Chair, Member of St. Mary’s Parish, St. Mary’s City, Maryland
- The Reverend John A. Ball, Rector Emeritus, St. Mary’s Parish, St. Mary’s City, Maryland
- Ms. Latasha Baker, Enrollment Coordinator, College of Southern Maryland
- Mr. Kelsey R. M. Bush, Community Affairs Liaison, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
- The Reverend Christopher Wilkins, Ph.D., Rector, St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, Silver Spring, Maryland, Adjunct Professor of English, College of Southern Maryland
- Ms. Mildred Reyes, Staff Liaison, Episcopal Diocese of Washington