The Diocesan Hunger Fund provides grants to programs that feed those faced with hunger and malnutrition in the geographical area of the diocese. These grants frequently spell success to programs experiencing shortfalls.
Applying for a Hunger Fund Grant
The Diocesan Hunger Fund disburses grants in June and December each year. Organizations wishing to apply for a grant must be based within the bounds of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington (the Maryland counties of Montgomery, Prince George’s, Charles and St. Mary’s and the District of Columbia). Learn More
How You Can Help
The Diocesan Hunger Fund relies on donations from congregations and individuals as well as dedicated volunteers in order to carry out its mission. Learn More
Your contributions helped the following 9 organizations work to alleviate hunger in 2020:
- Christ Church Port Tobacco Parish’s food bank – $5,000
- Food For All – $4,000
- Kwanzaa Kitchen at St. George’s, DC – $1,900
- Loaves and Fishes as St. Stephen & the Incarnation, DC – $6,000
- Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless, Maryland – $4,000
- The Shepherd’s Table – $4,000
- St. Ann’s Church, Damascus, Maryland – $1,000
- Washington Area Covenant Union, Silver Spring, Maryland – $5,000
- YMCA of Metropolitan Washington – $2,500
These grants frequently spell success to programs experiencing shortfalls. But the need continues to be severe. These organizations are directly helping our neighbors in need.
We invite you to donate to the Hunger Fund so that we may continue to help support these vital ministries. Donate to the Hunger Fund
History of the Hunger Fund
The Hunger Fund was launched in 1976 as a way for Episcopalians in the Nation’s Capital and nearby Maryland to ensure that their neighbors had enough to eat. Learn More
Hunger Fund Committee
The Hunger Fund is administered by a committee of volunteers from congregations within the Diocese. The Bylaws of the fund provide for volunteers from each region of the Diocese, although currently the Committee is looking for additional members.
Current members are:
- Janis Evans, St. George’s DC, Central DC
- William R. MacKaye, St. Stephen and the Incarnation, Central DC
- Lee Mericle (committee chair), St. Mark’s Fairland, Central Montgomery; and
- Patrice Rohde, Christ Church Old Durham, Southern Maryland
Have a question for the Hunger Fund Committee? Email us.