A gas leak triggered an explosion and fire at the Flower Branch Apartments in Silver Spring on Wednesday night leaving at least two people dead, five to seven missing, 34 injured and more than 90 are without homes.
Clergy and congregations in southern Montgomery County are responding to the widespread human need.
Church of the Ascension, Silver Spring, is collecting the following items on Sunday from 8 am to 11:30:
- Bottled Water
- Diapers of all sizes
- Socks of all sizes
- Canned goods and non-perishable food items (they have no ability to cook or heat up food)
- Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, hair brushes, combs, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, razors, shaving lotion, soap, hand and body lotion, hand wipes, towels, wash clothes)
Church of Our Savior in Hillandale, near the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and Powder Mill Road, has consulted with authorities and will be collecting the following items on Sunday from 8 am to 3 pm:
- Baby bottles
- Clothing (women, men and children)
- Underwear, new (women, men, and children)
- Personal hygiene / personal care products
Several clergy also are providing pastoral care to those affected by the explosion.